Sunday, June 29, 2008

Weekend getaway

This weekend Matthew and I gave the kids to my parents and we got a night away!! Yippee!! We went out to eat and to a movie Friday night....a real luxury for us! And Saturday we drove to the Hiddenite mine just outside of Statesville. Hiddenite is a gem that is only found in NC---it looks kinda like an emerald. We did not know what to expect from the mine but it was a lot of fun! Matthew and I chose to go creekin and sluicing. The creek was cold and surprisingly there were not any bugs! Matthew thinks we found more interesting rocks during the creekin which consisted of digging in the water and then shaking the pan to get rid of the sand and dirt and see what stones you came up with. The only problem was that we don't know enough about rocks to really recognize what we found:( The sluicing was easier on the body (no achy backs or knees) ....you sat down with a bucket of dirt and do the same thing as creekin in a waterway. We came away content, excited and very dirty!

Here are some pictures from our day away, I don't have any pictures of the kids with my parents because we had the camera! From all Kanayla has to say though, it sounds like the kids had a blast with their grandparents! Thanks again Mom and Dad for giving us a breather! And the next time we go to Hiddenite we are going to know more about rocks!



7 comments:

Micaela said...

Looks like it was fun! Do you know if you found any of that particular gem you were looking for?
-Micaela

Kristina said...

We found some quartz for sure. Some green and blue adventurine, dark tourlamine, amythest, if we found any hiddenite or sapphire it was really small slivers.

Ashley said...

I didn't know you had a blog! That looks like SUCH a fun trip and you are lucky that you got to leave the kids with your parents for a nice break. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I like that necklace, its pretty. Did you find it at the place?

Allison said...

I went to Hiddenite in 8th grade and remember having a blast. I'd definitely like to go again.

Kristina said...

Tiffany - I already had that necklace...it is just a silver chain with a Chinese character on it.

Allison - I definitely recommend going!! Hiddenite is a lot of fun!

M-Z-T said...

I love doing stuff like that. I'm such a gem fanatic that it is crazy when we go to Dugway to get geodes or Topaz Mountain to have some fun there.

Looks like you had fun!