Saturday, September 20, 2008

From the doctors office

As an update....we are still sick! Kanayla's nasty cold turned out to be the croup virus. It seems like whenever one of the kids comes down with something it HAS to make the rounds to everyone else in the family...except Matthew. Not fair at all! He rarely ever gets sick. Seriously, I think I have had 6 sinus infections since I gave birth to Ivie 18 months ago. It is ridiculous! It does not matter how many hand sanitizers we go through...hand soap, Kleenexes, cans of Lysol, vitamins etc, all the kids will get sick and then I will get sick and it ALWAYS turns into a sinus infection. I have to tell you... I HATE being sick. Being sick turns me into the comatose zombie person who then feels guilty because my kids are sick too so I need to take care of them while all I want to do is vegetate and get better. The house becomes a toxic waste dump because no one has the energy to clean up much less cook. It is an all-around bad situation. Not to mention that my kids are cuddlers when they don't feel good, so we all just end of sharing the germs over and over and over again.

This is are first experience with croup. Let me tell you it is a scary virus! Ivie had to receive the steriod shot to help her breathe. Xavien has scared me and Matthew to death the last 2 nights with his fevers and breathing issues. We have tried the humidifiers, humid hot shower mist and the cold air theories. If anyone has any other ideas let me know please!!

6 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, I am sorry Kristina! We have had croup more times than I care to remember. You're right; it is so scary. Is Xavien on a steroid medication? I've always noticed that the first two nights are the worst and then it seems to get better. If it doesn't, I always demand a steroid medication for my kids because it really can constrict their airways so much.

Micaela said...

Wow! :( Ashelyn had croup just after we moved here! It was SO scary- I didn't know what it was and took her to the ER that first night. I know they told me frequent baths and warm, wet cloths on their chests. I think I used vapor rub all over her back and chest. It does get better after the first couple of days. The ER doctor told me that if it got worse to come in and get another steroid shot. Fortunately we didn't have to do that... I don't know if you'd be interested, but my friend swears by this coconut oil and garlic concoction- she's been through croup a few times and says it clears it up within the first day... I used it on Stephen when we were all sick on Christmas last year, because he sounded like he was getting croup. The next morning he was much better! Anyway, hope it gets better really soon!!

nelsonjeneen said...

I hope you guys get better. I had the croup virus as an adult and it stinks!!!! Hope the kids get better, I am not looking forward to those days when the sickness goes through the family. Right now, Marissa has a cold and we have been trying to keep her away from the twins.
Jill

ldsjaneite said...

I have no idea on advice. But Matthew sounds like Dad--hardly EVER gets sick. But when he does, it's BAD.

Micaela said...

Philip's the same way too... lucky.

The Wildes said...

I hope ya feel better